Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Sunday - Murph

Jerry had let us know to expect Murph for Sunday so I was pumped to do Murph for the first time and get to use my weight vest. There were 20+ people at CFOT for the workout of which only a few wore vests: Steven, Lt. Col Dan, Stacey and Elise. Murph is a hero workout and is the following:

1 mile run
100 pullups
200 pushups
300 air squats
1 mile run

The pullups, pushups and squats can be partitioned in any way. I strategized the night before and decided to go 10 rounds of 10-20-30. Most people were going 20 rounds of 5-10-15.

We started with the run and only Charlie was ahead of me. I finished with Leslie and Karen in about 7:15. The course is a little less than a mile but still I was really happy with my pace. I headed up stairs and jumped on a bar. The 10 pullups were not bad, and I was able to knock out the first 2 rounds of 20 pushups with stopping. The air squats were tough, 30 was a lot. They really were slowing me down so I decided during my fourth round that I would complete 5 of the original 10-20-30 rounds and then switch over and do 10 rounds of 5-10-15. A great idea! It was mentally and physically easier for me and I could knock everything out without stopping. I was probably on round 7-8 of my 10 remaining rounds when Mel went out first for the mile run, she was followed shortly by Leslie and Karen. When I got outside I saw Stacey in front of me, she was probably about 150 meters ahead of me. I immediately told myself I had to catch her and finish as the first person with a weight vest. On the second lap of the 800m loop I caught her and really pushed it. I was keeping my own time and marked it at 46:34 at the bottom of the stairs (where we started) I made it up the stairs and yelled time to Jerry for his time of 46:54, no matter what did it in under 47 minutes. I was pumped. I was the first guy to finish, Mel, Leslie and Karen finished ahead of me and the first person with a vest! I was wiped out, it just hurt. My goal next time is to drop 5 minutes off my time, but no sure if I would change the way I did the workout. As an additional challenge I could non partition the pullups, pushups, and air squats. Until next time, but nonetheless set a PR and a benchmark to work towards beating next time.

No comments: